Honors Language Arts 12 A
English 12A Honors focuses on learning to write with confidence and mastery.
Semester A – English 12A Honors focuses on learning to write with confidence and mastery. Emphasis is placed on building language flexibility, improving sentence structure, and mastering the writing process. Students create, revise, and edit six writing projects that are designed to help them take their writing to the next level. As an Honors course, emphasis is placed on project-based instruction and increased reading and writing opportunities. In this thought-provoking writing course, students prepare themselves for the demands of college and/or the job market by developing their writing skills. Through text readings, videos, interactive PowerPoint presentations, practice activities, workbook questions, interactive skills challenges, discussions, writing projects, and other activities students demonstrate their mastery of the writing process. Students will integrate the 6-Traits of Writing (i.e., ideas and content, organization, voice, word choice, sentence fluency, and conventions) to all of their writing. As an Honors course, emphasis will be placed on additional reading and writing project-based instruction. Students will create projects including a short story, expository essay, functional document, persuasive essay, literary analysis, and research paper. Through the engaging activities in English 12A Honors, students become more mature and accomplished writers.
In this course, you are required to read two novels from the You-Choose list in addition to the works that are listed as required reading below. After selecting the novels you will read as your choices, download the appropriate novel guides using the links below.
- Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte – Project Gutenberg
- 1984 by George Orwell: ISBN-10: 9780451524935; ISBN-13: 978-0451524935
- Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte: ISBN-10: 0141439556; ISBN-13: 978-0141439556
- Brave New World by Aldous Huxley: ISBN-10: 0060850523; ISBN-13: 978-0060850524
- Othello by Julius Lester: ISBN-10: 9780590419673; ISBN-13: 978-0590419673 – Project Gutenberg
- One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez: ISBN-10: 9780060883287; ISBN-13: 978-0060883287
- A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens – Project Gutenberg
- Cry, the Beloved Country by Alan Paton: ISBN-10: 0743262174; ISBN-13: 978-0743262170
- Frankenstein by Mary Shelley – Project Gutenberg