Honors Language Arts 11 A
English for grade 11 is an American Literature course, with units organized chronologically according to periods in literary history.
Semester A – Honors English 11 is an American Literature course, with units organized chronologically according to periods in literary history. As students read foundational works of literature and other historical documents written between 1600 and 1900, they’ll review and extend skills in five domains: analyzing literature, analyzing informational text, writing, speaking and listening, and language study, which includes word knowledge and grammar skills. Each module or unit begins with a lesson that provides historical context for the era and introduces themes that emerged in the literature of that era. Each lesson provides students with an opportunity to review basic analyis skills before applying those skills to works of literature or key historical documents. Lessons focused on more difficult historical documents include activities that help students comprehend the complex ideas in these works. The Honors level of the course provides additional challenging assignments aimed at preparing college-bound students for advanced work in the study of literature and language arts.
Writing modes addressed in Semester A of this course include narrative, reflective, persuasive, and analytical modes. Assignments emphasize the use of details, evidence, and reasoning to support ideas; writing lessons include model essays that demonstrate key features of each mode. The speaking and listening lessons in Semester A cover rhetoric, the peer review or writing workshop process, and performance skills. Vocabulary development instruction is integrated into literature and informational text lessons. Each unit ends with an authentic assessment that presents students with a real-world scenario requiring some of the skills they learned in the unit.
- The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne – Project Gutenberg
Optional Novels :
- Death of a Salesman by Authur Miller: ISBN-10: 9780140481341; ISBN-13: 978-0140481341
- A Farewell to Arms by Ernest Hemingway: ISBN-10: 1476764522; ISBN-13: 978-1476764528
- My Antonia by Willa Cather – Project Gutenberg
- A Lesson Before Dying by Ernest Gaines: ISBN-10: 9780375702709; ISBN-13: 978-0375702709
- Black Boy by Richard Wright: ISBN-10: 0061130249; ISBN-13: 978-0061130243
- Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain – Project Gutenberg