Language Arts 09 A
English for grade 9 contains thematically related lessons in five domains: reading and the study of literature, reading informational text, writing, speaking and listening, and language study, which includes word knowledge and grammar skills.
Semester A – English for grade 9 is an integrated curriculum. Each unit contains thematically related lessons in five domains: reading and the study of literature, reading informational text, writing, speaking and listening, and language study, which includes word knowledge and grammar skills. Topics are presented in ways that help young adolescents relate literacy skills to other aspects of their lives. Writing assignments include narrative, expository, and persuasive/argumentative modes and emphasize the use of and details and reasoning to support ideas. Speaking and listening lessons in Semester A emphasize collaborative discussion skills and peer review. Vocabulary development instruction is integrated into literature and informational text lessons. Each unit ends with an authentic assessment that presents students with a real-world scenario requiring some of the skills they learned in the unit.
- Romeo and Juliet by William Shakespeare – Project Gutenberg
- The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway: ISBN-10: 0684801221; ISBN-13: 978-0684801223
- House on Mango Street by Sandra Cisneros: ISBN-10: 9780679734772; ISBN-13: 978-0679734772
- Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury: ISBN-10: 9781451673319; ISBN-13: 978-1451673319
- The Odyssey by Homer – Project Gutenberg
- Ender’s Game by Orson Scott Card ISBN-10: 0812550706; ISBN-13: 978-0812550702
- Speak of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck: ISBN-10: 0140177396; ISBN-13: 978-0140177398